8.21.2008

LIL' DOG>PHYSICS>ECO TRENDS

Lil' Dog

So I just got a new Wacom! My last one I had forever and it died. I'm trying to practice drawing in photoshop with the pentab so I can make more stuff on the computer. I'm still having issues with that. There is a romance with paper and pen, a kiss that has lasted for centuries, a physical connection. But, as we move more and more into our online life (where art is sent through emails instead of in packages) there is a new kind of connection going on. The invisible kind: energy.

Speaking of "energy" the actual definition for the essential element of all existence is quite vague. I love it.

During a 1961 lecture[7] for undergraduate students at the California Institute of Technology, Richard Feynman, a celebrated physics teacher and Nobel Laureate, said this about the concept of energy:
“ There is a fact, or if you wish, a law, governing natural phenomena that are known to date. There is no known exception to this law — it is exact so far we know. The law is called conservation of energy; it states that there is a certain quantity, which we call energy that does not change in manifold changes which nature undergoes. That is a most abstract idea, because it is a mathematical principle; it says that there is a numerical quantity, which does not change when something happens. It is not a description of a mechanism, or anything concrete; it is just a strange fact that we can calculate some number, and when we finish watching nature go through her tricks and calculate the number again, it is the same. ”
—The Feynman Lectures on Physics[7]

When I was doing all my research for Symmetrics, I studied a lot of "energy" theories, quantum physics, and mathematical symmetrical concepts. Then I started to find a relation between Symmetry and HEALING. Whoa---now I'm going into another dimension. I'm gathering my facts---doing my studies. Sometimes I stop and wonder why? Where does it go? You know what I'm going to say: straight to the heart-always.

ANYWAY,
back to this little dog up here.

This was my first attempt at trying to DRAW something with my new pen. I was going to delete it but I couldn't do it. The lil' dog had a charm. It reminds me of some japanese styles of illustration-very childlike with heavy brushstrokes. Now I love this little dog.

Plus he reminds me of this famous Japanese artist (that I can't remember the name) who makes childrens books and paints. His style makes me think of the 90's because the 90's had this organic raw illustration style for a while. You know, the grunge coffee shop thing, the trying to be "eco" but not really making a huge effort until now, and the current "eco" style is much more modern because it is the future. The funny thing is, right now Eco is trendy but it's turning into a necessity. What will this do to future advertisting? Will everything have a green hue to it eventually? If anything, I hope this eco "trend" helps clean up all the ugly advertisements and super sloppy graphic design work out there. I have a dream, a dream to clean up all of the ugly advertisements that line the streets of Japan. Revolutionize it all. Hahaha! It's true though. One of the major ideas of fung shui is keeping your place clean, organized, and in order. To put away the ugly things (like electronics, and piles of magazines) so that we LIVE in ART and beauty. We feel good when we are surrounded by beauty ( think of a super nice trendy hotel you've been in or perhaps a home that has great interior design---how do you feel in there? Good? Kinda poshy? Pretty happy, yah?) I think this new eco illustration style looks good and modern because there is a conscious effort to make an intelligent change in the world-which is reflected in the designs.

ANYWAY----
MARC BOUTAVANT is an amazing illustrator that I just love and he does ALL of his amazing work with his pen-tab. So, this is my first attempt, we'll see how much I evolve over time. I might not, though. Drawing on the computer is so easy to take back what you did, which means you can work with less precision because you know you can always hit the UNDO button. With pen on paper you get one chance. Almost all of my work is done in pen right on the paper. I'll do a sketch if it's something that is really important, sometimes not. My favorite drawings are usually the ones that only exist once physically. But, those only happen when I'm drawing without too much thought.

No comments: